Saturday, November 12, 2011

Rewriting completed manuscripts, a good idea or not?

Check out my posting on the Writers on the Move blog about whether or not rewriting a completed manuscript is a good idea. Did I make the right move? Leave a comment and let me know what you think.


Don't forget order your copy of Finally Home and receive a free crocheted bookworm bookmark in your choice of autumn, Christmas, primary, spring, summer or winter colors (all are varigated colors representing the seasons except for the primary colored ones - I just happened to like it and so decided to add it to the mix of seasons). Orders can be placed directly on my website and copies are only $15 which includes shipping. If you plan to give a signed copy as a gift, now is the time to order your copy so that you have it in time to put under the tree. See you all in the postings - E :)

2 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

Well, I didn't think I would ever do that but am finding that rewriting my ms. is making it much stronger. I've read that is what other writers do--I just didn't want to be bothered--but I think it's the way to go!

elysabeth said...

Carol, did you already have the ms completed or had you just written it as a first draft and then worked on the revisions/editing? Did you change your main idea completely or have you kept the same characters, same plot, same timeline, et cetera? In my YA novel that will be released soon (I hope), I totally changed everything from the age of the character, the reason the house is so important or beckons to my main character, to the setting and the whole mystery surrounding the house - to me that was a total rewrite.

I agree that I've heard writers don't write stories, they rewrite them so maybe it is the way to go - for me I don't regret the changes now but was truly not wanting to do them a couple of years ago when I thought the story was at its best - lol. When do you expect your novel to be completed? I'm anxious to read it when you get it completed. Thanks for stopping by - E :)