Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Spindle clarification

Remember a few days ago there was a posting about what the British equivalent of a spindle was? Well, it seems my first impression or first-and-a-half (because after reading the definitions Diplo_Dad posted from wikipedia about what a spindle was, I turned to the metal stick where you push papers on it - posted a picture and all; but originally I was thinking on the lines of this clarification. I think this does a little bit of clarification but suffice it to say how a 5-year-old would come up with a statement like "Be careful of the spindle or it will cut your fingers off." is kind of beeyond me - lol. Leave it to kids. So now we have the "word" spindle solved. Go read the enjoyable post over at Diplo_Dad's blog and enjoy the entertainment. Mrs. E :)

2 comments:

Rain-drop said...

hey Elysabeth,

I'm glad you found out what a spindle was. I was surprised when I saw the picture on your earlier spindle post of the paper sticking onto the needle.

When I think of spindle, I think the sewing tool with the wheel that pricked the finger of Sleeping Beauty. =D To this day though, the only "spindle" like that (not like the modern spindle) that I've seen was in a museum Gothic house that had 1800s historical items inside it; the spindle I saw was sitting in the attic.

elysabeth said...

Chai, Glad to see you are around and following my blog. If you followed that original posting back to the person's blog he had put that definition in red as to thinking that is what was meant (although he did call it a hole a puncher but here we don't call it a hole puncher because that is a whole other creature). so when I saw his original line of thinking, I figured I'd post what that kind of spindle looked like. And when he finally posted this morning what the teacher had been talking about, figured I should clarify it here as well.

But you are right - the type of spindle you are thinking of and what I originally thought are of the spinning wheel type - and in the days long gone by, the spinning wheel was usually used in the attic or a spare corner of a 1-floored house. Glad you got to experience first-hand a spinning wheel with a spindle attached to it.

I totally am glad I'm finding other blogs to follow and being able to share some of what they post over here - hope you are doing well my friend - look me up for a chat sometime - still on yahoo as well as google talk and skype - E :)