Friday, January 29, 2010

Support your local library update #4

First some sad news - J. D. Salinger, author of The Catcher in the Rye passed away today. Apparently his death has made all the headlines and there is speculation as to whether or not a vault with unpublished manuscripts will be found (he liked his privacy and felt that publishing was an invasion of his privacy per a quote by him (can find the full quote on Carol Baldwin's blog). Thanks for passing this on Carol.

Now for the library update. I finished Princess, for a Week Wednesday night and am still deciding if it is a recommended read. I think for the grade level it is targeted to it would be a recommended read; of course reading it as an adult, I felt that it was a bit unbelievable in parts. It's hard to read children's books with the same mindset that they would read because I've been through my childhood and the books I vaguely remember reading at this age group (the review says it is geared for 3rd through 5th grade, but I'd read it more like it was geared towards 1st and 2nd graders. The writing seemed simplistic and like an early reader, learning to read type book) were nothing like this (of course I was that young about 40 years ago).

The book was enjoyable but just a little basic for me. I guess it's time to start reading some more adult books to shake my mind up a bit - lol. Started Death at Devil's Bridge and apparently there is a book prior to this but I couldn't find it in the library system or didn't look to see that there was one before. I don't think I'll really have trouble catching up with the characters though (so far not). Will keep you all posted - E :)

No comments: