Sunday, January 04, 2009

Carolyn Hart trivia/book review

Today is ... trvia day in the USA. I was going to try to tie this in with my series, but am at a loss how to do that without giving too much away. I've given you all a couple of clues on the first book, and no one has guessed the first state yet. So let's have something else here: What do a mystery bookstore owner, a well-traveled granny and a ghost have in common?

They are all characters created by Carolyn Hart.

In Carolyn's new series, the Bailey Ruth Raeburn series, Bailey Ruth comes from the Department of Good Intentions in heaven as a "ghost", although her boss in heaven would beg to differ with us earthlings about the terminology, to help those in need of help. In "Ghost at Work", Bailey Ruth finds herself plopped right down in the middle of a major mess with the preacher's wife and a dead body found on the back porch of the rectory.

"Ghost at Work" is a rather quick read, and being that this is a new series, I feel that Ms. Hart tried to cover a lot with all the descriptions and not leaving anything to the reader's imagination. I think this can be a fun series, so I'll have to keep an eye on it as it develops.

Having read some of both her Annie Darling and Henrie O. series, I think I am going to like the Bailey Ruth Raeburn series the best. I'd have to say that the Death on Demand series becomes very predictable after a couple of books. The Henrie O. series is fun because she at least travels and finds her mysteries in places that are away from home, and now with the Bailey Ruth series, we are getting the prespective from the ghost herself.

1 comment:

Vivian Zabel said...

I'm a Carolyn Hart fan. I met her at a book signing at Best of Books in Edmond, and she was approachable and friends.

I like the Henry O. series better than the Death on Demand one, and I will try her new series when I can.